Fire Extinguisher Safety
- KNOW WHEN TO USE – Only use a portable fire extinguisher when the fire is contained to a small area like a trash can, the fire is not spreading uncontrollably, and the room is not filled with smoke. In all other cases GET OUT and STAY OUT!
- CHILDREN AND FIRE EXTINGUISHERS – It is not recommended to teach children to use fire extinguishers. They may not be able to recognize the appropriate conditions to use fire extinguishers and also may not have the strength and dexterty to handle the extinguisher.
Fire Extinguisher Operation
Use the PASS technique for proper operation
- PULL – Pull the pin. Hole the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing towards the fire and release the locking pin
- AIM – Point the nozzle at the base of the fire
- SQUEEZE – Squeeze the lever slowly and deliberately to intiate fire supression
- SWEEP – Sweep the nozzle back and forth across the base of the fire